Thursday, January 17, 2013

Should There Really Be Rules to Falling for Someone?

 
So I found myself in the book aisle of Walmart today looking for some cheap books and just as I was walking away I found a book called, "Not Your Mother's Rules; The New Secrets For Dating". I am not one for ever going near a self help book and especially a dating one, but something gravitated me to this book. After ten minutes of standing in the aisle looking through the pages, smelling some old woman fart and then hoping to God that the people walking in the aisle didn't think it was me, I realized that I had just read just enough snippets of this book to get me to buy it. I slowly put it in the cart, face down, not wanting anyone to see that I bought this. I do have to mention I did not buy this book for help in dating yet bought it as it shocked me how messed up we have become as a society. 
A big part of this book says to never share "the rules" with men. So if you are a man reading this close your eyes please. Here are a couple of things just listed on the back of the book which go into further detail inside:
  • Stay away from his Facebook Profile
  • Make yourself invisible and other ways to get out of instant messaging
  • Stop dating a guy who cancels more than once
  • Text-Back Time Chart
  • Don't just hang out or see him 24/7
  • TTYL: Always end everything first- Get Out of There!
  • And much, much more!
So the contents of this book go over why we as woman should never text, call, Facebook message, add the guy first as a friend on Facebook, why we should wait at least 4 hours to answer a guys first text and then 30 minutes thereafter and don't answer texts after midnight. It also says don't talk too much in the first few weeks, don't pay for dinner or buy his love in anyway, don't choose a college, job or relocate because of a guy, don't be self destructive by dating married, unavailable, and other mixed-messages guys, don't sext a guy, accept booty calls, don't date indefinitely without a commitment, and then of course after all of these topics how to deal with rejection.

So I have failed miserably at all of these things. Going to try and not make those mistakes again! What happened to being yourself? Having a good conversation in person with someone and getting to know them? What happened to falling in love with someone for who they are? It's all a game.This book really makes men look like horrible players and woman look as needy as ever. Our world has come to communicating electronically and if that is all we have sometimes should there really be rules to falling for someone?

 

2 comments:

  1. I think the book makes women seem like the crazy ones. Most men would not even think of half of those things on that list (that I didn't read of course). Like if the girl replies in 18 minutes as opposed to thirty... He will not think anything of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It's not like I'm going to sit by my clock and wait till it's 30 minutes to text back. Stupid rules to make woman more crazy!

      Delete